Tuesday 17 November 2015

Making My Prosthetic Pieces - Technical Folder

Health and Safety
-Any aerosol sprays need to be sprayed out the window.
-Hair tied up.
-No jewellery.
-New change of gloves after handling products.
-Old clothes.
-Lids on tightly.
-New spatula for each product.
-Wipe down each pot after using it to reduce cross contamination. 
-Wear Breathing mask when using the products.
-NEVER pour silicone down the sink.


After I had placed cling film onto the backs of my moulds and stuck it down, securing any holes, it was time to start making my silicone pieces. 
I began by mixing together a solution of Super Baldiez and Isopropyl Alcohol, which I then brushed onto my moulds. I completed three layers of the Baldiez mix onto my moulds, as they were larger pieces, and need more strength. I know that this will take more time when it comes to blending, but I would much rather take more time blending rather then restarting my moulds again. I let this dry until it was matte, then made up the silicone, deadener and pigment mix. As my model is pale-skinned, I decided to match her colour, rather than mixing a colour of the lizard and having to match this when colouring my piece. I then filled my moulds quickly, so that the solution did not start to set, and scraped over the edges to make sure that it would blend easily onto the skin. 



I let these dry for about 40 minutes, and then took them out of the moulds. I used a laminating brush and plenty of talcum powder to loosen the baldiez off the mould. They came off really easily, as I used quite a thick layer of Baldiez. I had found that the holes in my mould had not affected my moulds, and that they were exactly how I imagined them. I am really happy with the outcome especially as I was so worried that I would have to start the process all over again, using much more silicone than I had bought. The moulds look good, and I am excited to begin to apply them and colour them up, to create my hybrid! 


I have learnt that I need to make sure I have more than enough products to complete the tasks. I had made larger moulds, but did not think about the amount of silicone I had left, after the process of making the wounds. I am pleased that I was able to find another way to complete them rather than having to start all over again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment