Tuesday 17 November 2015

Making My Silicone Mould - Technical Folder

Health and Safety
-Any aerosol sprays need to be sprayed out the window.
-Hair tied up.
-No jewellery.
-New change of gloves after handling products.
-Old clothes.
-Lids on tightly.
-New spatula for each product.
-Wipe down each pot after using it to reduce cross contamination. 
-Wear Breathing mask when using the products.
-NEVER pour silicone down the sink.


When it came to my making my mould, I was initially looking forward to it. I made the walls around my clay pieces, and mixed up my silicones. I knew that it had to be a thick layer of silicone as my moulds are deep, but thought that the rest of my silicones would be enough. When I made up the silicones, I began to pour in the mould, but soon before I had poured in the rest of my mixture I realised that I had not got enough of the silicone to fully cover my pieces. I was very stressed, and worried as to what the outcome would be, and whether or not I had wasted all of my silicone on something I would not be able to use. I used my initiative, and began to scrape down my mould to decrease the height, whilst it was still in the silicone. I worked quickly, until all of my moulds were completely under, or so I thought. 
When it came to taking out my moulds, I waited a few hours until I was confident that they had dried. I was apprehensive about how they would turn out and whether the silicone would set as I had been messing about scraping down the clay in it. I was lucky, as the moulds had set. But on closer inspection, I hadn't covered up the whole piece. On both cheek pieces, the end horns had small holes through the silicone. My larger piece, however did not. I was really annoyed with myself and disappointed that it hadn't worked, but I didn't want to waste all of the silicone. I began thinking of ways to still use my silicones, when, with the help of my tutor, came up with the idea of cling film being sellotaped onto the back, so that none of the silicone could go through. 







I am really disappointed with the way that the two cheek pieces turned out, as I was excited about seeing them. I am pleased with the way I dealt with the challenge, as I tried to remain calm and figure out a way that I could sort this. My moulds look good, and hopefully they will work to produce a good prosthetic piece. Now I know that if I am doing a project like this in the future, I should always have more than enough silicone, so that this does not happen again. I have bought some more so that I can produce my silicone prosthetic pieces. 

No comments:

Post a Comment