Sunday 29 November 2015

Technical Evaluation

I have really enjoyed the technical sessions in the Special Effects Unit, and I am gutted that we are not carrying forward the option through to next semester. I think that my technical skills have advanced massively, as I am very new to Special Effects, and as initially very nervous about it. I think that I have listened well to instructions and taken notes on all of the processes, including sculpting, making the silicone moulds, filling our moulds, applying our moulds and the colouring our moulds. For me, the most difficult part was the making of the silicone moulds, as there was a lot of pressure on us to make the moulds correctly, and not waste any of our silicones. I did not realise how intense the actual making of the moulds would be, and that you had to have the exact amount of both Silicone A and Silicone B to make a successful mould, but I am happy that we have been taught how to make flat moulds, rather than just learning how to apply them. It was quite daunting learning about the silicones themselves, and the safety behind them, such as not cross-contaminating as this can ruin the silicones and make them unusable. The Health and Safety is very similar to that of normal makeup application, but have more serious outcomes if you do not follow the rules, such as causing damage to the lungs if you do not wear the breathing masks when spraying the Petrolease and Fixing Spray. I liked how we learnt about the products themselves and why we use them, such as the Prosaide being a contact glue, as I would not have known that otherwise. I feel that learning all about the Special Effects has benefitted me in the long run, as it is something that I am seriously considering when thinking about my future in the industry. I have enjoyed this unit, and would have liked to have advanced this a little more.

No comments:

Post a Comment